Our library of practical resources is intended for state agency staff undertaking performance management or evidence-based policymaking work. These resources are a collaborative effort. We credit the authors of all the resources we post here, and link to their original work wherever possible.
Please fill out this form for any suggestions, questions, or feedback.
These resources provide a basic understanding of cost-benefit analysis and discuss why CBA is a helpful tool for understanding the monetary impact of a program over time.
These cross-cutting resources cover the basics of performance management and cross many subfields of performance management and evidence-based policy work.
- Charting the Next Decade of Evidence Generation in State and Local Government: A Virtual Webinar Series (J-PAL North America)
- Foundations for Evidence Based Policy Making Act of 2018
- How States Engage in Evidence-Based Policy Making (The Pew Charitable Trusts)
- Methods and Tools to Use Performance Data at the State Level: Key Terms, Definitions, & How They Connect (NASBO)
These resources provide more information on how to find and evaluate data and evidence, and illustrate how it into your work.
General Evidence Resources
- Using the Results First Clearinghouse Database Helps Users Access Information on Program Effectiveness (The Pew Charitable Trusts’ Results First Initiative)
- Where to Search for Evidence of Effective Programs (The Pew Charitable Trusts’ Results First Initiative)
- OSBM Tiered Levels of Evidence
- Evidence to Policy Resources (JPAL North America)
- A practical frameword for evidence-informed policy: Addressing the generalizability puzzle (JPAL North America)
Using Data in Contracting
- How to Use Evidence in the Contracting Process (The Pew Charitable Trusts’ Results First Initiative)
- Evidence Based Contracting Examples (The Pew Charitable Trusts’ Results First Initiative)
Translating Evidence into Policy (Project Examples)
- Department of Information Technology Yellow Belt Training – Available via Beacon Learning Management System
- Results Washington – Lean Conference
- Arnold Ventures, Arnold Venture's Evidence-Based Policy Team