North Carolina state agencies are increasingly interested in collaborating with external partners to answer questions that inform decision making and improve policy and programmatic functions. The NC Office of Strategic Partnerships (OSP) helps develop, launch, and enhance these cross-sector partnerships.
OSP created the North Carolina Project Portal to share opportunities for partnering and for people to express interest in pursuing those opportunities. To learn more and explore opportunities, please visit the:
After confirming a state agency’s research partnership opportunity, OSP builds a list of researchers from North Carolina institutions of higher education (public and private colleges and universities, HBCUs, and community colleges) and other research organizations with whom to share the opportunity. OSP developed this “Guide to Identifying Potential Partners for Government-Research Partnerships” to outline the process of building those outreach lists.
Before the launch of the NC Project Portal, OSP shared individual research partnership opportunity documents. Below are archived opportunities.
- NC Department of Environmental Quality Division of Air Quality (December 2021)
- NC Department of Revenue (November 2021)
- NC Department of Justice (May 2021, revised October 2021)
- NC Department of Public Safety (July 2021)
- NC Office of Indigent Defense Services (June 2021)
- NC Department of Environmental Quality Division of Water Resources (December 2020)
- Multiple North Carolina state agencies (March 2020)
The scope, timeframe, deliverables, and expertise needed for projects are determined case by case. Some opportunities are short-term (commitment of a few months or less); others require longer commitments. Some projects require funding. OSP, agency partners, and research partners work together to determine project parameters. Visit the portal for information about how to express interest or to ask questions about opportunities.