Earthquake Homeowner Recovery Program

The Earthquake Homeowner Recovery Program provides assistance to repair, reconstruct, or replace residences damaged by the August 2020 earthquake. Applicants must have submitted an application to the program no later than August 31, 2022

You can participate even if you have received funds from other sources including SBA loans or private bank loans.  If you are approved for an SBA or private bank loan to repair your home, this state funded program can supplement and reimburse you loan amounts used for emergency repairs to fix structural, heating, ventilation (including chimneys), air conditioning, or safety needs to make your home habitable, decent, safe, and sanitary. 

Non-emergency repairs (e.g., cosmetic, non-structural repairs, appliance upgrades, etc.) or property upgrades are not eligible for reimbursement.

This program is dedicated to earthquake related home repairs. This recovery program does not support earthquake repairs to service, retail, or commercial business properties that were damaged.

Eligibility criteria for the Earthquake Recovery Program

  • Your home must have been damaged as a result of the August 9, 2020 Earthquake.
  • Applications must have been submitted by August 31, 2022.
  • Your total household income must be at or below $94,100 a year (defined as your 2019 or 2020 Adjusted Gross Income. Click this link for more on income limits). Since this earthquake was not a federally declared disaster authorizing FEMA and HUD federal disaster recovery programs to provide assistance for this disaster, families who earn more than the income limit are encouraged to apply to the Earthquake Recovery Program and, based on financial need, may be eligible for assistance not exceeding the maximum State Individual Assistance Program benefit of $35,000.
  • You must have occupied the damaged home as a primary residence.
  • You must have owned the damaged home at the time of the disaster and you must still own the home.
  • If you are a renter and need help email us at and tell us more about the disruption caused by the earthquake.
  • You must be a full-time resident of North Carolina and a United States citizen. 
  • The damaged home must be an eligible structure type and located in Alleghany, Ashe, Surry, or Wilkes Counties.

Read our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions